- 8 ounce package of white button or cremini mushrooms
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 large cloves of garlic, roughly cut
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I use Cardena’s Organic Tunisian EVOO)
- ½ cup of panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Gently clean mushrooms with a damp paper or cloth towel.
Remove stems and gills and set aside. I peel off the thin layer outer layer of the mushrooms and set the scraps aside with stems and gills. My secret weapon for removing mushroom gills is the small handle of a demi (espresso) spoon, fork or iced teaspoon.
Add parsley, garlic, walnuts, oil, and salt, half of the grated cheese and mushroom scraps, gills and stems to a food processor. Pulse until all is well combined and walnuts are little chunks. Place in a bowl and add panko bread crumbs and stir until all is incorporated.
Spoon mixture into mushroom caps and then place them onto the aluminum lined cookie sheet and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Drizzle mushrooms with extra virgin olive oil and top with rest of grated cheese. Place cookie sheet in oven to cook for about 25-30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.