- 600 grams (about 2-1/2 cups) almond meal
- 4 egg whites – do not use yolks (save for another use)
- Rind of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 capfuls of Limoncello liquor
- 250 grams (1 cup) of caster sugar (very fine granulated sugar)
- Icing sugar (Confectioner’s Sugar), to dust
- Slivered almonds, to sprinkle on top of cookiesPreheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.Put almond meal, baking powder, caster sugar and lemon rind in a bowl.In a separate bowl, beat egg whites, limoncello and a bit of both caster sugar and baking powder. Beat until frothy, not stiff and then add to the almond meal and gently mix by hand. If mixture is too soft add a little Self-Rising flour.Place icing sugar in a shallow plate. Shape dough into small balls or pipe into tiny wreath shapes and then roll in icing sugar. Shake off excess icing sugar and place them on a baking sheet.Press a whole almond or a candied cherry in the center of the biscuits and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 12-15 minutes.