Recipe by Chef Jacquie
- 1 pound of Irish bacon (regular bacon, cubed ham steak or Canadian bacon can be substituted)
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 3 baby turnips, diced (or 1 large)
- 4 red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 head of cabbage, roughly chopped
- 8 cups of chicken stock (Vegetable stock can be substituted)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
In a large soup pot, over medium high heat, sauté bacon until crispy. Add onions, carrots and celery, sauté for a few minutes; add broth and cabbage.
Raise heat to high and bring soup to a boil. When soup reaches boiling point, lower heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
Add potatoes and turnips and cook for another 30-40 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
Serve this hearty soup with toasted or grilled bread. Perfect for celebrating St. Patty’s Day.